Jay, The Angry Progressive

Commentary on political views of the pros and pundits who get paid to play the game.

What Do I Really Care About???

I focus most of my attention on the political dog fighting in this country and so it occasionally is necessary for me to stop and ask myself why I even care. I believe that political operatives get so obsessed with the “game” that they stop caring about real issues. For example, I doubt Karl Rove cares at all about the substance of the Republican agenda. Not that he necessarily should -- his actual job is to get R’s elected. So, until the Democrats hire me to shape party strategy and messaging, I’ll continue to remind myself to care about actual substantive issues. Here are my top 5:

(1) Foreign Policy / Diplomacy. I’m embarrassed to be an American. Iraq has been an absolute fiasco, due in large part to our diplomatic arrogance and a lack of long term, realistic military strategy. I realize I’m stating the obvious. This administration’s ineptitude has bred a whole new generation of fanatic anti-Americanism throughout the world. And for what? We’re not safer. I’m not without hope. I think new leadership in the White House can instill a new tone and repair much of the diplomatic damage. But our policy also must change. I absolutely do not believe in the Bush Doctrine or pre-emption absent a direct, verified threat. Rather than exploit 9/11 to justify invasions of sovereign nations, we should use it as an opportunity to reinvent the military with a focus on intelligence gathering, police work and special ops. We must talk directly to all parties (Iran, North Korea, and Syria) whose policy we wish to influence. It’s beyond arrogant to insist someone change without speaking to them. This amounts to a humble approach to foreign policy. Humility requires patience, listening, compromise and flexibility. I don’t think we need to sacrifice our interests or our safety.
(2) Adjusting to the Global Economy. I understand that the global economy is a reality we can’t escape. I think progressives have the opportunity to seize the debate regarding how we, as a nation, adjust to it (because Republicans generally don’t care). I like my colleague’s idea regarding massive investment in alternate energy and stem cell research. That would seem to create additional skilled jobs. I also highly advocate incorporating labor standards into our trade agreements. I’m not sure if this would change anything at home, but it’s a moral issue and it can’t hurt workers here. I support investment in worker retraining. More teachers, more social workers (see # 3).
(3) Treating Addiction and Mental Illness. I support a massive overhaul of our criminal justice system because I think we’ve stopped attempting rehabilitation. Deterrence is one small way to fight crime and probably the least effective at discouraging recidivism. I believe we need to equip our prisons with top notch substance abuse treatment and mental health care facilities. I support funding for transitional housing. I’m not per se opposed to faith-based initiatives, but we need transparency in funding allocation so that the programs aren’t used as political pay offs. As a side note, I oppose the death penalty in all circumstances.
(4) Children’s Health Care / Public Health. First of all, I believe we should cover the basic needs of all children immediately. I would like to see an investment in preventative health care through better physical education at schools and in the media. We have embraced a sedentary life style (myself included), and it plays right into the hands of the drug companies. I’m worried that big business has hijacked the health care agenda in this country and I’m not sure that socialized health care would solve the real problem. Therefore, I don’t necessarily support a single payer system. As a first step, let’s roll back the tax breaks and business protections for drug companies and focus our attention on health issues like better parks and walkable communities. And, of course, cover all kids right now.
(5) Urban Redevelopment. It’s awfully sad to ride the train from Philadelphia to Trenton to New York and see all the old bombed out factories and desolate neighborhoods. Think of the money we’re spending in Iraq in light of the desperate needs of our neighborhoods here. It’s stupefying. I’m for federal money being spent on additional empowerment zones, specifically targeting neighborhoods outside the central business districts in major cities. Consider it phase II of the early 90’s urban renewal. Give people a reason to move back. Beyond new construction, there’s simply a need to clear out these old, depressing, probably dangerous buildings. In America, we’ve long valued aesthetics. All our citizens deserve clean and cared for neighborhoods to live in.

Applicable to all of the above are a robust environmental policy, dedication to mass transit, dedication to smart growth and walkable communities.
--Jay

posted by The Angry Progressives @ 2:32 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Authors

Jay, Jason and Jeff

angryprogressives@gmail.com


Web This Blog

About me

    I'm The Angry Progressives From United States
    My profile

Other National Anger:

Communities We're Connected To:

Previous Posts

Archives

Powered By

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates